Featured Post

Do You Like Reading Ghost Stories?

Hello everyone, Who loves to read ghost stories? Do you like to read real life ones or fiction? Which is your favorite? I love to read gho...

Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 2 of the Ayurvedic diet


So today I did my massage with sesame oil. I had to wait for 15 minutes before getting into the shower but it did heat up my body and actually think my skin ate it all because I wasn’t as sticky as I thought I was going to feel. I am going to share some information about the massage and why you should be doing it everyday. Yes, I said everyday.

Each morning before you begin your day you should do your massage and then wait the 15 minutes and hop into the shower. If you are a night shower person than you would just do it at night. It needs to be done each and every day. When we engage in this massage will allow toxins to release and for them to leave our bodies.

You should choose oils that will fit in with your primary Dosha. For me sesame is a good oil to do and my body liked it and took it in. You should massage your whole body but when you are alone that does not work so well.

I just rub what I can touch on my back and do the rest of my body starting at the scalp down to the bottom of my feet. I also have been doing my feet at night before bed since they are so dry they could use it.

I have included several videos about the massage. It is part of the ayruveda lifestyle and since we humans are a product of routine it will take some adjusting to get used to this new lifestyle and to do this massage everyday.

They suggest getting organic oils and cold pressed oils since your skin is going to eat it. You want it to be something healthy to put on your body.

According to the Chopra Center they have step-by-step instructions that I am sharing hear with you and here is their direct link to their site. http://www.chopra.com/abhy

So they call this massage the “Abhy” actually the self-abhy massage since you are doing it on yourself. You can also pick up some massage oil from them make sure it goes with your Dosha since I am a Kapha and can’t eat coconut I shouldn’t use coconut oil even though I love it and it is my favorite kind of oil to use. Sesame is better for me.

Pay attention to what your Dosha should eat and cook with as the Ghee, which is the oil you use. Each Dosha is different.

I think you could use the sesame oil if you want but if you like to have herbs added you would need to know what herbs you should eat for your Dosha. I love the smell of sweet things but am not to eat any of those so I think for now I will stick with the sesame oil besides I can get it locally at a place that sells it organic and for less than it might cost to buy oil over the internet but you can also do that too. There are several places to go to online to get these oils the chopra center sells oils for each Dosha.

If you want you can do a nightly massage if you don’t mind two showers per day. It helps you to feel relaxed and will lend to a good night’s sleep. I choose to begin my day cleansed and ready to go and relaxed. Although, I do massage my feet before bed and that brings up the heat into them and helps soothe them.

Although the Chopra Center shortened the name the actual name of the massage is “Abhyanga”

In India and around the world now, you would go and see a practitioner who would give you one of these massages but most of us with the economy the way it is, cannot afford that. So we do it for ourselves so that we can take responsibility for caring for our bodies. Besides it opens everything up and moves out toxins we should not have in our bodies.

Step by Step

1.     Begin by running some hot water over the bottle to gently warm the oil.
2.     Pour a tablespoon of warm oil onto your scalp and vigorously work in the oil.
3.     Using your fingertips, vigorously massage your head and scalp with small circular strokes, as if you are shampooing.
4.     Move to your face and ears, massaging more gently.
5.     Using an open hand to create friction, massage both the front and back of the neck.
6.     Vigorously massage your arms, using a circular motion at the shoulders and elbows, and back-and-forth motions on the upper arms and forearms.
7.     When massaging your chest and stomach, use a gentle circular motion and a straight up-and-down motion over the breastbone.
8.     After applying a bit of oil to both hands, gently reach around to the back and spine and massage them as well as you can without straining.
9.     Vigorously massage your legs as you did your arms, using circular motions at the ankles and knees, back-and-forth motions on the long parts.
10. After massaging your legs, spend extra time on your feet. Using the open part of your hand, massage vigorously back and forth over the soles of the feet.
11. Keeping a thin, almost imperceptible film of oil on the body is considered very beneficial for toning the skin and warming the muscles throughout the day.


Learn this and other daily revitalizing ayurvedic practices at the Perfect Health program at the Chopra Center for Wellbeing in Carlsbad, California.

After giving myself a massage I felt warm and better actually. I still felt some of the pain I do each day but as far as my muscle’s felt it was better.

Today I woke up and was not hungry so I didn’t eat breakfast. For a Kapha you are to eat when you are hungry only and I wasn’t very hungry so I ate lunch at 12 and has some blackberries, ginger tea, pea soup, and a chicken leg. I was full and able to go until 7 pm for dinner.

For dinner I ate a chicken salad a cup of pea soup and one apple. I sprinkled some sunflower seeds on my salad. I didn’t eat all that I had I was filled up from the soup and chicken.

I am still full. I drank a cup of the turmeric tea with dinner. I put a little too much black pepper in it. I am still sipping on it.
I have started a board on pinterest so follow me on there to gain a lot of information and recipes.

Come join me on this incredible journey and see what it does for you. I am planning to put a book together about this experience and the diet itself and would love to add other people’s information as well so come on. Don’t be afraid to try something new. I am in my forties and stuck in routine and am stepping out of my comfort zone.
See you all tomorrow when I check back in with you all.

Here is my pinterest link http://pinterest.com/jerriaubry/

I posted the video above and before this post so go and check it out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment